callin cooks from all over the world
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scalloped Potatoes

2 posters

Go down

Scalloped Potatoes Empty Scalloped Potatoes

Post  Cooking Asshole Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:36 pm

I know what you are thinking. "Ew! Scallops! I hate mollusks...gross" (in a wimpy loser voice). This dish, however, contains no seafood my good friend: just sliced potatoes drowning in a lake of dairy. Let's begin.

The first step is to slice 2lbs of red or yukon potatoes (~12 med.) as thin as you can but not so thin that you can see through them.

Get all your ingredients ready because this is going to move too quick to do it on the fly. Dice a medium onion, 2-3 minced garlic gloves, 1/4c of flour, old bay, oregano, and thyme. You don't have old bay? Go buy some...now! It will change your life. At this point you will also want to set up 2c of milk and grate 1 1/2c cheddar cheese.

Melt 6tbl butter on med-low heat. Once the butter has fully melted, whisk in the 1/4c flour until it looks like the picture here. The key here is the temperature; do not let it get too hot. A sizzle is okay; a boil is not. The combination of the two ingredients needs to be smooth and complete. Just like two wildebeests during mating season.

Once the flour and butter have become one (1-2 min), toss in your onion, garlic, 1tbl old bay, 1tsp oregano, 1tsp thyme. Turn the heat up a little bit to medium. Stir it around for 3 min until it looks like this. Then slowly stream in 2c milk while whisking.

Bring it to a boil (via med heat) and simmer it for about 2min. For your personal edification, a simmer is a very light controlled boil on low heat. We both know your whole life you never figured out what it is...until now. What would you do without me? After the 2min have passed remove the pot from heat, add the 1 1/2c grated cheddar and a little salt and peppa.

Line the bottom of the casserole dish with a layer of sliced potatoes. Then pour enough of the cheezy goodness on top to give her a good coat as seen in this picture.

Continue layering. Basically your goal in layering is to leave no potato 'un-cheesed.' Bake at 350 deg for ~1hr. Sometimes it takes longer than an hour. It is one of the great unsolved mysteries of the universe. Just keep and eye on it. You also might want to toss some aluminum foil over the top in the last 15 or so minutes.

When it looks like this it is done! The edges should be brown and the casserole should be bubbling a good bit. Let me guess...you fucked it up again. This time I have to blame myself. I guess these need to be in MORE freaking detail...

Oh yeah...be sure to tell your woman it is low-fat or something like that so she feels good about herself.
Cooking Asshole
Cooking Asshole

http://www.cookingforassholes.com

Back to top Go down

Scalloped Potatoes Empty Re: Scalloped Potatoes

Post  crazzacat Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:51 pm

great idea, never thought about it Very Happy
----------------
Lost in choosing userbars for this forum...

crazzacat

Back to top Go down